Code It Forward
The ‘Learn Now and Pay Later’ model looks to facilitate economic mobility by providing equal opportunities for everyone who is passionate and motivated to pursue a career in tech.
The Code it Forward initiative will provide an opportunity to enrol on our highly successful Coding Bootcamp — training to become a Web Developer in just 16 weeks — with no tuition fees to pay upfront.
This means that we don’t get paid unless your training is successful and you land a job, so we have an incentive to make it work for you.
In return, students agree to pay a portion of their income after training and securing a job. The Code it Forward initiative has been designed by Develop Me as a radical yet simple solution in partnership with our social enterprise finance partner EdAid. The idea is that we invest and support you into your first role in tech by ‘paying it forward.’
Code It Forward spaces become available on each cohort as the course reaches the required number of paying students to make it financially viable.
What this means is that there is no guarantee a cohort will have Code It Forward spaces.
We hope that pursuing both of these options — Code It Forward & traditional loan — will reduce the likelihood of students waiting for a Code It Forward spaces for a long time.
Why is this important?
Develop Me has designed an inclusive financing model that aligns incentives around successful career outcomes for the individual — and not their financial status or affordability to pay in advance. We believe your current financial status shouldn’t hold you back from breaking into a new tech career.
Our ambition is to transform student access to education by removing the financial barriers of entry; allowing low-income or under-represented individuals to access digital skills training connected to highly paid in-demand tech careers.
At a time of rapid disruption in our economy, we are driven to explore innovative ways to develop an inclusive and diverse workforce of the future — through investing directly in local talent and providing opportunities for everyone in society.
Bristol is the UK’s second biggest tech cluster after London. It has an estimated 27,000 people doing tech-related jobs, and in 2016 alone there were 226 startups created in Bristol.
However, the demographics of the tech sector have come under scrutiny with most of the major players revealing that their workforces are anything but diverse. As the digital revolution increasingly touches every aspect of our lives, the UK needs a technology workforce that reflects the full diversity of the people who use that technology.
How does it work
This program is specifically designed for students who are otherwise unable to afford training, outright or through traditional financing methods. We hope to benefit students who are underrepresented in the tech community, including, but not limited to gender, race, ethnicity, educational background or employment history.
Develop Me will initially create x6 ‘Code it Forward’ places per year on their Coding Bootcamp to train people into long term careers in the rapidly growing Bristol tech sector.
- We train you on one of our full-time 16 week Coding Fellowship Bootcamps
- Accepted students will have 100% of their training costs financed
- In return, students agree to pay 10% of their income after training when in work
- Fully refundable deposit of £250 is required to secure a place on the course
- Full learning and personal career support will be provided
- Graduating Students will pay back via an interest free ‘Deferred Payment Plan’ facilitated through our partnership with EdAid
- Underwriting decisions are based on individual potential rather than your current credit history
- Be at least 18 years old
- Live in Bristol region
- Be eligible to work in the UK and hold a National Insurance number
- Be able to demonstrate long-term interest in entering a career in web development
- Have been declined by other course financing options with our finance partners Lendwise, Knoma or Future Finance.
- Undertake an affordability assessment by our financial partner EdAid.
- Be willing to complete a coding task as part of application
- Be committed to completing all academic requirements of the course, including 40 hours of pre-course preparation material
- Be available to attend in-person classes according to the training provider’s schedule
- Commit to participating in the training provider’s job search and career support programme
01 - Submit application
- Apply for this deferred payment place using the form below
- Sent coding task for completion
02 - Selection for interview
- Attend in-person/online interview (if selected)
03 - Decision
- Informed of decision
- Placed on waiting list for a Code It Forward spot (first come first served & requires minimum paid places reached)
- Start pre-course preparation
04 - Offer of an available place
- Payment of deposit
- Formalise contract and financial assessment with EdAid
- Pre-course preparation and start your new career!
Acceptance onto the course is discretionary and subject to assessment by our finance partner EdAid. Places are very limited – so please ensure you apply asap.
Complete and submit the form below
All fields marked with an * are required for submission. Thank you.